Friday, January 13, 2012

Pictures of Me...

Out of all the reasons I want to lose weight I've been giving a lot of thought lately about what my number one motivation is. Do I want to be healthier? Live longer? Fit into smaller clothes? Well, all of these apply but as I was looking through pictures on Facebook this morning, it hit me. I don't want  to have to look at myself like this in a picture EVER again. The immediately depressing feeling that hits me whenever I see myself in a picture is something that I'd rather not feel. Just to see how the world sees me... It's always a harsh does of reality since, when I look in the mirror, I don't see that girl at all! I swear, if I didn't know what I looked like in pictures, I'd think I looked like a size 8!

Since his weight loss my husband, Matt, has had a hard time with his self image. He looks in the mirror and still sees himself as fat and he often asks me if I think I'll have this problem after I lose weight and I can't help but think, "Nope..." The main reason being that I don't even see myself as fat NOW when I AM but then I see a picture of myself and it all comes crashing in... Waves of depression wash over my head and I want to just sink into the couch, never to be seen again. I want to be able to look at a picture and see what I FEEL I look like! I want my weight to reflect my confidence. You often hear that bigger women tend to have a hard time with self confidence and I have to say that I don't think I'm lacking in that department. So, here it is. My reason for losing weight. I want the world to see what I see. I don't want them to see this...
I want to be able to look back at pictures with my children and not have to worry about how overweight I was... I want my confidence to shine through. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm the same way! I always feel like I look super cute and thin and then I look in a picture and I'm like, ugh, really? So I know where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. I feel the same way. I used to be so cute and I always think about who I was when I'm dressed up and ready to go. I used to get complimented ALL THE TIME on how cute I dressed and how people loved my hair or eyes (and I've never been 'thin'), but now, nothing! My husband doesn't count, of course. Then I see pictures of myself and I think, really!?! No wonder I don't get compliments anymore. I am not the same person at all! I am gross and the cute is gone. Just fat mom is left. Ok, self-pity party over. I just wanted to say, I understand all too well what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know all too well the feeling of thinking i look thinner than i am. my "cure" for that recently has been our XBOX Kinect. the sensor shows me just how NOT thin i really am.
    but that's what i'm on this journey for, so that the world can see the 'me' i see in my mind. and so that i can be healthy & fit~all things i KNOW are a part of me.
    keep up the good work and the camera will reflect how you feel before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie that sounds awesome!! Hmm.... my husband has been trying to talk me into getting a Kinect FOREVER. We'll see.

    Raylene, I hear ya on the husband thing... I only ask him how I look if I want to hear his lovely man-lies. lol Which, I know aren't lies to him since that really is the way he sees me, but still. Marriage colored glasses. >_< I used to get comments from people AFTER they learned how much I weighed because I "dressed so well, no one would ever be able to tell!" Yeah... *sigh* But, that's what this journey is all about, right? I'll finally see that thin self at the end!

    ReplyDelete